Friday, May 29, 2009

Giving feedback - Receiving Feedback

In this blog I will reflect on my experiences with giving and receiving feedback.

Giving feedback
As I told already in Bergen, in our University College, we discuss and reflect very much about giving feedback on students. So it is not new to me. What is new to me is to do this in a virtual learning environment. First I want to say that our virtero meeting was a good start for this process. Although I was late with my feedback, after this meeting I thought about Alexanders course and tried to connect this with my own experiences as a student (long ago) and experiences of my own practice. So an advantage for me, in giving written feedback, is that I have time to reflect on this before I make the remarks I want to make. Then I tried to give the feedback, with the principles in mind we got in our course. Because I have a strong belief that growth can only be reached with a positive approach, it is not so difficult for me to start with the positive things. Although I must say that in this case, the fact that  Alexanders curriculum plan was already very clear, made this much easier. One of the things I know I have to be aware of in giving feedback is not to fill in the answers myself, but just ask the right questions and let the student search for the answers he wants to give on this.

Receiving feedback
I found it very good that Mark pointed out that for him 'critical social work' was not clear. Howerver I was a little bit surprised he was not aware of the international definition of social work. This is really important for me, because as Marks says, student might know this either. He reflects about this and that is good. What I miss in the feedback is, even when Mark finds the curriculum plan good, he might give some reflection what for him makes this clear or logical.

Also this week
As I say in the theme discussion, I was at a very good congres in Leuven. The Keynote speakers Prof. Dr. Lena Dominelli and Prof. Dr. Idit Weiss were really inspiring. I can recommand to you to read something of them. And for me, the content is also useful for my own course. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Wim,

    Good to read that you want some explanation about my comment. Still when I read your curriculum plan it's logical for me. Students need to know about coorporation, reflection and so on. Every itemm is important. I think that every social worker ought to think about ethics and values.( the worker is the instrument) And doesn't every social worker must know how to practice with several methods. Isn't comparing the way we work not always a subject( at several levels).
    It brings me to my point I think that you must be more specific about critical social work. What do you want to lecture your students. What's you opinion about CSW? What's the main thing? Attitude? That's something for every social worker.
    So I think that the itemms you mention in your Curriculum Plan are ok. But I think i miss the start. Whats CSW for you and as a man who practice social work a long time I would like to start with an example of your own experience.( in lesson 1)
    I do hope that you can use my comment

    ReplyDelete